Compost of Dreams

Thursday, March 8, 2007

The Poet’s Alibi


THE POETS ALIBI



I live in
a world of dreams
Where despair is transcended

Like a drop trail of oil
In Antarctic storms

Nursing vision, I range my soul
High up the lookouts

Drunk with ways of seeing
Climbing for the star’s perspective

Where the sky is without limits…
…. I can study men like ants

Crawing full-tilt on the treadmill
To escape the cry of trod-on dreams…

They would bring me down,
Enmesh me, overwhelm me,

But this vision spirit is above
Them… it lifts me beyond

And I soar up their yearnings
Crying out: “Mine!” “MINE”

Break the doors of the fantastic
Sprout wings for the vision-forged eagle

Scribe paths I see from my advantage
Draw a map for Vision to travel…

I am the maker of myths to live in
The rhapsodist of fancies

Unmuting the knots of tied-tongues
Reading the groans of our speechlessness

Until all our bones sing
Pumping our hearts fuller

Hitting the nail of veracity
To drive home the kingdom of mustard

Where spiritlife is free
And everyone’s truest dream

Becomes a life that
Needs no alibis.


1987 © Wayne David Knoll


Paddy Russell and his Mustard Seed Project inspired the mustard edit. The poet is hard done by, hardly valued unless you write ballards a hundred years ago, a hard ask. This manifesto of poetic freedom is a profession of a profession. It rose declaiming those who would stifle oncoming poetry infavour of the schackles of convention (lies)Or respectable moral (hypocritical) society and its I-you bound need for permission. I wrote those last words in 1993 and I still agree with them. I believe a calling or vocation gives us a near divine right to speak up. When the bishop of Canberra was asked by a priest for permission to do something innovative, he replied: do not ask permission, just do it, and I’ll scold you if you’re wrong, take the credit for supporting you if you are right. Oh for us to be the author of such an authoritivness again!

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I am a 4th-to-6th generation Australian of Silesian (Prusso-Polish), Welsh, Schwabian-Württemberg German, yeoman English, Scots, & Cornish stock; all free settlers who emigrated between 1848-1893 as colonial pioneers. I am the 2nd of 7 brothers and a sister raised on the income off 23 acres. I therefore belong to an Australian Peasantry which historians claim doesn't exist. I began to have outbreaks of poetry in 1975 when training for a Diploma of Mission Theology in Melbourne. I've since done a BA in Literature and Professional Writing and Post-graduate Honours in Australian History. My poem chapbook 'Compost of Dreams' was published in 1994. I have built a house of trees and mud-bricks, worked forests, lived as a new-pioneer, fathered-n-raised two sons and a daughter, and am now a proud grandfather. I have worked as truck fresh-food farmer, a freelance foliage-provider, been a member of a travelling Christian Arts troupe, worked as duty officer and conflict resolutionist with homeless alcoholic men, been editor/publisher of a Journal of Literature for Christian Pilgrimage, a frontier researcher, done poetry in performance seminars in schools and public events.