Compost of Dreams

Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Little Thornbills



LITTLE THORNBILLS



I'm happy now, I'm in a fine way.
My lot in life will not clear. Even
under cars I love my wife, my children.

I walk around the mudbrick house happy.
I did that! See, my new pioneering, my
garden landscape, the orchard. I did that too!

I'm happy reading 'The Age' mornings.
Wrap local-rag arvoes with a thawing chook
Doled with a little happy.

I even enjoy wheeling off to school the kids
Car a glass-can on oil-rubber wings
Gettin out and burnin fuel: zooom, zoom.

I'm happy. I quite enjoyed dashing
My lonely mug of instant coffee
On the big stacks of unlaid bricks.

I can even not entirely hate grovelling...
Like locating boltholes on the gooseneck
Of my happy towbar, if I'm down, (and I am).

I'm happy the car still goes (and stops).
The school letters children and come sunrise
Plastic lunch boxs must be happly filled...

But tell me why the little thornbills
Picking lerp off gumtrees out my windscreen
Make me catch my eyes?

1990 © Wayne David Knoll

I have twitched and watched birds, making birdlists since I was a boy. The little flight beings are wonderful to watch. Watching, I have yen to try. Where are the boltholes to be gone, that lead somewhere better than this? Pold the clod can undress the wings of his tongue, for who does want to be 'my man' ... 'Home among the gumtrees'? But it too often seems to be down on his knees in abjection that gets him somewhere.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I am a 4th-to-6th generation Australian of Silesian (Prusso-Polish), Welsh, Schwabian-Württemberg German, yeoman English, Scots, & Cornish stock; all free settlers who emigrated between 1848-1893 as colonial pioneers. I am the 2nd of 7 brothers and a sister raised on the income off 23 acres. I therefore belong to an Australian Peasantry which historians claim doesn't exist. I began to have outbreaks of poetry in 1975 when training for a Diploma of Mission Theology in Melbourne. I've since done a BA in Literature and Professional Writing and Post-graduate Honours in Australian History. My poem chapbook 'Compost of Dreams' was published in 1994. I have built a house of trees and mud-bricks, worked forests, lived as a new-pioneer, fathered-n-raised two sons and a daughter, and am now a proud grandfather. I have worked as truck fresh-food farmer, a freelance foliage-provider, been a member of a travelling Christian Arts troupe, worked as duty officer and conflict resolutionist with homeless alcoholic men, been editor/publisher of a Journal of Literature for Christian Pilgrimage, a frontier researcher, done poetry in performance seminars in schools and public events.